Tuesday, February 23, 2016

The Peppermint Men by Gladys Tracey

I posted a poem called "The Peppermint Men" on my blog ages ago (actually I guess it was just 2012).  I'd found it somewhere online drifting around the Masonic-sphere, and it was clearly attributed to an unknown author. Some of you may have enjoyed the post on my site. Imagine my surprise when I learned that the poem has a clear author, and in fact the version I posted was altered.

I am grateful to my good Brother Richard Swan, who brought the proper authorship and correct version to my attention. Of course I agreed to make the correction.  Here's what Bro. Swan told me.

" 'The Peppermint Men' was created by Gladys Tracey. Gladys created this and read it out for her own Ladies Night in 1986 and it was very well received and appreciated at the time and for a long time after. In fact many asked for copies!"
"The version you have published is not an exact copy with a few lines being altered. I would dearly like to publish the original version with Gladys name clearly defined as the author. Gladys died 3 years ago, she is sadly missed and we would all love to think that her memory and prowess as a poet could live on."

"I have the full permission of my friend and brother, W-Bro Alex F Tracey, PPJGW of Blackwater Lodge 1977 to make contact with you and to ask that you kindly edit the entry on your site to give credit to the correct author."

It is not often you get to make a connection with a part of the Masonic world that has made a contribution Masons all over the world love and appreciate.  I am proud to give proper credit and join the Brothers of Blackwater Lodge 1977 in celebrating Gladys Tracey.

I have removed the version of the poem I had posted, and I include the corrected version below. I pray that the poem will reach a wider audience and new generations of Masons will gain appreciation for it. I repost the poem here, now, with the permission of W. Bro. Alex Tracey. If you want to post or publish it yourself, please take care to give due and proper credit, as well as obtain permission. Thank you Brothers of Blackwater 1977 for sharing.

Herewith, is "The Peppermint Men", by Gladys Tracey.

“I’m going to be a Mason”, said Sir one day at tea,
“It will only mean one evening out, and once a month” said he.

One evening quickly led to two, followed by three and four
And pretty soon I asked his name when he walked in the door.

He bought a jar of peppermints and put some in a tin,
“I have to hand them round”, he said, “or they won’t let me in.”

So now when friends come calling and ask, “Where is he then?”
I say, “You won’t see him tonight, he’s with the Peppermint Men.”

He dines out fairly often, superb meals, mainly roast.
I sit and watch the ‘goggle-box’ and eat my beans on toast.

A clean white shirt is needed, his gloves as white as snow,
His suit well brushed, his case in hand, oh dear, I wish he’d go.

He’s started talking to himself, I’ve heard him in his den.
I think he’s going crackers, and I blame the Peppermint Men.

“I’m going in the chair”, he said, “a position of renown.”
That’s nice, I thought, with his poor legs, he’s better sitting down.

“I’ll be the Master of my Lodge. You ought to be impressed.”
“I am dear – take the rubbish out, as soon as you are dressed.”

“You’ll have to make a speech you know, when it’s your Ladies’ Night.”
I looked at him in horror, as fear replaced delight.

I scribbled through a pad or two as I tried hard to think.
I threw away six ballpoint pens as they ran out of ink.

But now the evening has arrived, no words can really tell,
That it’s the best night of my life, I hope it’s yours as well.

Copyright Gladys Tracy 1986

9 comments:

• Richard Swan says:
    February 25, 2016 at 1:36 AM

Bro. Doug,

Thank you so much for all your hard work and efforts in ensuring that this is out in the public domain with the author correctly credited.

I really appreciate your help.

Best fraternal regards,

Richard

• JY says:
    January 21, 2017 at 4:17 PM

Hello, I am presenting a ladies response at my husband's lodge in February & I too am a writer of poetry. However, I cannot compete with the wonderful work of Glady's! Do you know how I would be able to contact her husband to obtain his permission to read Glady's poem as she intended please? Many thanks Jayne Young

• dan jerry says:
    August 8, 2018 at 5:34 AM

Welcome to brotherhood Illuminati where you can become
    rich famous and popular and your life story we be change
    totally my name is Dan Jerry I am here to share my
    testimony on how I join the great brotherhood Illuminati
    and my life story was change immediately . I was very poor
    no job and I has no money to even feed and take care of my
    family I was confuse in life I don’t know what to do I try all
    my possible best to get money but no one work out for me
    each day I share tears, I was just looking out my family no
    money to take care of them until one day I decided to join
    the great Illuminati , I come across them in the internet I
    never believe I said let me try I email them.all what they
    said we happen in my life just started it was like a dream to
    me they really change my story totally . They give me the
    sum of $1,200,000 and many thing. through the Illuminati I
    was able to become rich, and have many industry on my
    own and become famous and popular in my country , today
    me and my family is living happily and I am the most
    happiest man here is the opportunity for you to join the
    Illuminati and become rich and famous in life and be like
    other people and you life we be change totally.If you are
    interested in joining the great brotherhood Illuminati.then
    contact him +2348106618681 or for more information +1(705)8062021
    email:illuminatibrotherpowerful@gmail.com or you need my assistance
    email:danjerry04@gmail.com...

• Unknown says:
    June 7, 2019 at 7:36 PM

Dear Sir/Ma,

We are project funder as well as financial lender. We have BG/SBLC specifically for BUY/LEASE at a leasing price of 4%+2% of face value Issuance by HSBC London and many other 25 top AA rated Bank in Europe, Middle East or USA. We also secure funding. Also We are into the provision of short term and long term business/personal loans for both small and large scale business funds.

* FOR LEASING OF BG/SBLC
    MINIMUM FACE VALUE OF BG/SBLC = EUR/USD 1M
    LEASING FEE = 4%+2%

* FOR PURCHASE OF FRESH CUT BG/SBLC
    PRICE = 32%+2%
    MINIMUM FACE VALUE OF BG/SBLC = EUR/USD 1M

Intermediaries/Consultants/Brokers are welcome to bring their clients and are 100% protected. In complete confidence, we will work together for the benefits of all parties involved.

John Coffe
    E-mail : agolpvn@gmail.com
    Skype id : agolpvn@gmail.com

• muhammed says:
    July 18, 2019 at 2:43 AM

We Facilitate Bank instruments SBLC for Lease and Purchase. Whether you are a new startup, medium or large establishment that needs a financial solution to fund/get your project off the ground or business looking for extra capital to expand your operation,our company renders credible and trusted bank guarantee provider who are willing to fund and give financing solutions that suits your specific business needs.

We help you secure and issue sblc and bank guarantee for your trade, projects and investment from top AA rated world Banks like HSBC, Barclays, Dutch Ing Bank, Llyods e.t.c because that’s the best and safest strategy for our clients.e.t.c

Interested Agents,Brokers, Investors and Individual proposing international project funding should contact us for directives.We will be glad to share our working procedures with you upon request.

Name: Muhammed Emir Harun

PRICE = 32%+2%
    MINIMUM FACE VALUE OF BG/SBLC = EUR/USD 1M

Name: Arda Baris

Contact Mail :crystalfinanceconsulting@gmail.com

• WRIGHT says:
    August 4, 2019 at 7:37 AM

We are direct providers of Fresh Cut BG, SBLC and MTN which are specifically for lease, our bank instrument can be engage in PPP Trading, Discounting, signature project (s) such as Aviation, Agriculture, Petroleum, Telecommunication, construction of Dams, Bridges, Real Estate and all kind of projects. We do not have any broker chain in our offer or get involved in chauffer driven offers.

We deliver with time and precision as sethforth in the agreement. Our terms and Conditions are reasonable, below is our instrument description.

The procedure is very simple; the instrument will be reserved on euro clear to be verified by your bank, after verification an arrangement will be made for necessary bank documents and stock testing expenses, the cost of the Bank Guarantee will be paid after the delivery of the MT760,

DESCRIPTION OF INSTRUMENTS:

1. Instrument: Bank Guarantee (BG/SBLC) (Appendix A)
    2. Total Face Value: Eur 5M MIN and Eur 10B MAX (Ten Billion USD).
    3. Issuing Bank: HSBC Bank London, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank Frankfurt.
    4. Age: One Year, One Month
    5. Leasing Price: 6% of Face Value plus 2% commission fees to brokers.
    6. Delivery: Bank to Bank swift.
    7. Payment: MT-103 or MT760
    8. Hard Copy: Bonded Courier within 7 banking days.

We are ready to close leasing with any interested client in few banking days, if interested do not hesitate to contact me direct. wrightjames931@gmail.com

Regards,
    Wright
    Skype;
    wrightjames931@gmail.com

• Philip James says:
    September 9, 2019 at 3:17 PM

We are exclusive agent to direct providers of Fresh Cut BG, SBLC, MTN Bonds, Bank draft and Loans which we have specifically for lease. We do not have any broker chain in this offer or get involved in Chauffer driven offers. We deliver with time and precision as set forth in the agreement. You are at liberty to engage our leased facilities into trade programs as well as in signature project(s) such as Aviation, Agriculture, Petroleum, Telecommunication, construction of Dams, Bridges and any other turnkey project(s) etc.

DESCRIPTION OF INSTRUMENTS:
    1. Instrument: Bank Guarantee (BG/SBLC) (Appendix A)
    2. Total Face Value: Eur 5M MIN and Eur 10B MAX (Ten Billion USD) .
    3. Issuing Bank: HSBC Bank London, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank Frankfurt.
    4. Age: One Year, One Month
    5. Leasing Price: 3% of Face Value plus 2% commission fees to brokers.
    6. Delivery: Bank to Bank swift.
    7. Payment: MT-103 or MT760
    8. Hard Copy: Bonded Courier within 7 banking days.

The Leased Instruments includes: BG’ s, Insurance Guarantees, MTN, ( SBLC) Standby Letters of Credit and Third Party Guarantees such as a standby forward commitment to purchase or a standby loan. If you are a potential Investor or Principle looking to raise capital, we will be happy to answer any questions that you have about this opportunity and to provide you with all the details regarding this services.

Our BG/ SBLC Financing can help you get your project funded, loan financing, please let me know if you are interested in any of our services, by providing you with yearly renewable leased bank instruments. We work directly with issuing bank lease providers, this Instrument can be monetized on your behalf for 100% funding.

BROKERS ARE WELCOME & 100% PROTECTED!!!

Regards